Want to Be Happy? Try These Simple Tips…
By John Teng
If there is one thing the middle aged men and women seek, it’s happiness. Tired of simply getting through the day, they want to rediscover the joy that life has to offer. The trouble is, so many of them don’t know how to find happiness.
If you are stuck in a middle age rut and need a jolt toward a happier day – and life – try some of these simple tips:
- Laugh More. Stop growling. See the humor in yourself (and in your life) and make an effort to smile and laugh more.
- Adopt a better attitude. Yes, life is sometimes going to throw you some lemons, so give them a squeeze and make some lemonade. Stop letting disappointments turn into tragedies. Adopt a better attitude. You may be surprised at how much better you feel when you make a conscious effort to turn a bad day into a good one.
- Stop trying to be perfect. No one is and no one can be. Accept your limitations and accept the fact that sometimes you simply cannot do something. When that becomes apparent, shrug your shoulders and delegate that job to someone who can better manage it.
- Find something to be grateful for every day. It doesn’t have to be a big thing (maybe just the fact that you didn’t oversleep this morning and miss your early meeting). By looking around to find things to be thankful for each day, you are going to force yourself to take a closer look at all of the small wonders you normally pass by without noticing.
- Accept yourself for who you are – flaws and all. Stop trying to be everything to everybody. Yes, it is important to be a good employee; a loving spouse; a thoughtful dad, but that doesn’t mean you have to fix every problem or make everyone’s life perfect. Be kind … be gentle … be compassionate … and be helpful. But don’t take on everyone else’s problems and become the master fixer.
- Find the fun in life. Too often we find ourselves stuck trying to just get the job done and have forgotten that life is actually supposed to be fun. Yes, that’s right, life is fun! Forget raking those leaves. Forget getting a head start on that report for work. And forget cleaning the garage. Take the afternoon and do something fun, either alone or with someone you care about. Go fishing; go biking; or simply spend the day playing cards with friends. Today is the day to laugh, love and enjoy!
Life isn’t supposed to be all drudgery. Sure, there are going to be meetings you dread; responsibilities to handle; and chores to get done; But if you want to be happy, you are going to have to let go of some of that and find activities to enjoy; moments to cherish; and people to share it all with. Now, clear that calendar and start enjoying your life again!
You Might Also Like
The Virtues of Selfish Service
Your Feelings of Selfishness Can Actually Help People... Read more
Three Simple Steps to Start a Healthy Lifestyle
Simple considerations to help you reach your health... Read more
Your Words Have the Power to Build up... Read more
Learn from the Mistakes of Others
When I was in High School one of... Read more
Is It Time to Start a New Career? How to Make the Big Switch?
Your career is one of the ways you... Read more